Commonly Asked Questions
- Aquarium Fish Aquarium/Tank Ammonia Breakdown or Removal?
Aquarium fish tanks produce ammonia as a byproduct of fish waste and uneaten food. Ammonia is toxic to fish, so it's important to remove it from the tank regularly. Here are some ways to break down and remove ammonia from an aquarium: Partial Water Changes: One of the easiest and most effective ways to remove ammonia from the aquarium is by performing partial water changes. Regularly changing 10-15% of the water in the tank will help dilute the concentration of ammonia, making it less harmful to the fish. Beneficial Bacteria: Another way to break down ammonia in the aquarium is by using beneficial bacteria. These bacteria convert ammonia into nitrite, which is less harmful to fish. Products such as biological filters and bacterial additives can help establish and maintain a colony of beneficial bacteria in the tank. Activated Carbon: Activated carbon is a chemical filtration media that can help remove ammonia from the aquarium water. It works by adsorbing the ammonia molecules onto its surface, effectively removing them from the water. Zeolite: Zeolite is another chemical filtration media that can remove ammonia from the aquarium water. It works by exchanging the ammonia ions for sodium ions, effectively removing the ammonia from the water. Ammonia-removing Products: There are also specialized products available that can remove ammonia from the aquarium water. These products typically contain chemicals that bind to and remove the ammonia from the water.
- Will Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium harm my grass if the treated water is used for irrigation?
No. Unlike chemical algaecides, Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium's specialized bacteria and enzymes won't harm grass areas. Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium actually benefits your grass by increasing the beneficial soil bacteria population.
- What causes algae blooms and how does Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium help?
Algae's are mainly caused by excess nutrients in the water. Most ponds and lakes become overloaded with nutrients, nitrogen, phosphorus and organic carbon. These excess nutrients overcome thepond's ability to naturally clean itself up. Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium's microorganisms use nutrients in their cell mass and breakdown organic substances and greatly improve water quality and reduce bottom solids.
- What effect does Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium have on Phosphorus?
Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium's bacteria use phosphorus in their cell mass, making it unavailable as a nutrient for aquatic weeds. Phosphorus is a key component in the make up of DNA and RNA (the "building blocks" of life), which are necessary for bacterial cell replication.
- How does Pond and Aquarium deal with Nitrogen?
In the water, nitrogen is found in several forms; ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Through a process known as nitrification and denitrification, the Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium formula breaks complex forms of nitrogen down into molecular nitrogen, a gaseous form. This nitrogen will be degassed through the water, escaping to the surface and leaving the aquatic environment.
- How does Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium deal with Carbon?
The microorganisms digest carbon through the process of breaking down organic matter. The carbon is absorbed through the bacteria's cell membrane where it combines with oxygen and is released as CO2 . Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium's enzymes break down complex carbon bonds, making these materials easier to digest for the bacteria. This breakdown of organics leads to a reduction in total suspended solids and bottom solids.
- How does Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium remove odors?
Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium accelerates the nitrogen cycle, enhancing the rate at which ammonia is converted into nitrite. Ammonia is the principle cause of odors when high stocking densities or populations of fish are present. By insuring high populations of bacteria and enzymes, we can alleviate most common odor problems.
- Will Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium help remove pond bottom sludge?
Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium supplies bacteria and enzymes to work on nutrient sources throughout the water column, including the pond bottom. Our product includes two strains of non-hydrogen sulfide producing bacteria specifically targeted for bottom solid digestion. The bottom solids in any pond are one of the primary nutrient contributors to total nutrient loading. As organic matter at the pond bottom decomposes ,it releases nitrogen and phosphorus into the water column. Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium contains microorganisms specifically selected for their ability to degrade bottom solids made up of organic matter.
- What does Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium do to improve water clarity?
Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium can make dramatic improvements in clarity. When clarity is affected by floating organic matter, Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium will be highly effective in a matter of 1 to 2 weeks. The breakdown of carbon leads to a reduction in total suspended solids, which results in improved clarity. Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium will have significant impact on clarity issues caused by minerals (turbidity, silt, iron, etc.). Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium is effective in treating some of these cases.
- Are there ponds or lakes where the product should not be used?
Any pond or lake which loses 45% or more of its liquid volume in any given day should not be considered for Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium because of the high turnover rate.
- Will Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium clear my pond?
Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium is best used as a preventative, ongoing management tool. It is best to use Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium before problems occur. Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium is effective once the pond has experienced a problem; however, it can take several weeks before significant impact is noticed.
- What about aeration?
Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium (and all other bacterial products) depends upon adequate amounts of dissolved oxygen in the water. Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium's microorganisms decomposition rates are 5 to 6 times faster in the presence of oxygen. This means that water with aeration will experience a higher and faster success rate.
- Is Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium bacteria safe to use?
Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium's bacteria/enzyme strains are indigenous, non-pathogenic, naturally occurring bacteria. They are completely safe and FDA GRAS listed as safe for humans, animals and plant life.
- Does Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium require EPA registration?
No. Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium contains only naturally occurring, non-pathogenic, indigenous microorganisms, and therefore it is not regulated by FIFRA or the Federal Insecticides, Fungicides, and Rodenticides Act. EPA registration is not required.
- Are there permits or applicators licenses required to use Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium?
NO. Because Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium is not regulated by FIFRA, licenses and permits are not required.
- What is the Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium shelf life?
The shelf life for Bio-Pure Pond & Aquarium is two years. When the jar is opened, it must be re-closed and stored out of direct sunlight.
- What are the benefits of Bio-Pure Pond and Aquarium?
- Eliminates odors by breaking down the organic bottom solids where gas is created and released. Specialized bacteria and enzymes also break down ammonia before it causes a problem.
- Reduces bottom solids. Bio-Pure bacteria and enzymes will accelerate the degradation of the dead organic matter on your pond bottom.
- Improves water clarity and quality by digesting suspended organics in the water column and degrading ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, and other contaminates that are harmful to your ecosystem.
- Eliminates pond scum by digesting the primary food source (nitrogen and phosphorus), making it unavailable for aquatic weeds.
- Stops aeration equipment fouling due to organic build up.
- Costs less than a fraction of a penny per gallon of water treated.
- What can you expect after application?
- In 2 to 4 days there will be a reduction in nitrogen and phosphorus levels.
- In 3 to 4 days there will be a reduction in odors.
- In two weeks there should be a visible improvement in clarity and water quality.